1/4 cup plus
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 Tbsp plus
1 Tsp sugar
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened but still cool to the touch
2 large egg whites, cold
2 Tbsp nigella seeds or black sesame seeds
1 small red onion, peeled and halved
250g crème fraîche
1/4 Tsp salt, or to taste
Freshly ground whitepepper to taste
12 chives for garnish
24 small slices of smoked salmon
2 Tbsp black caviar, for garnish
Dill for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 190˚C. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper and with pencil draw circles 10cm in diameter.
2. Add all the ingredients (except the seeds) to your Sunbeam Food Processor fitted with the ‘s’ blade.
3. Process until all ingredients are just combined. Remove batter from bowl.
4. Spoon some of the batter onto the back of a spatula and spread in a thin even layer onto the 10cm marked circle on the baking paper.
5. Repeat with all the circles. There should not be any holes in the batter. Sprinkle each cornet with a pinch of black sesame or nigella seeds.
6. Bake for about 4-6 mins, or until the batter is set and you see it rippling from the heat. The cornets may have browned in some areas, but they will not be evenly browned at this point.
7. Open the oven door and place the baking sheet on the door. This will help keep the cornets warm as you roll them and prevent them from becoming too stiff to roll.
8. Flip a cornet over, sesame seed side down, and placea 11cm to 12cm cornet mould at the bottom of the round.
9. The tip of the mould should touch the lower left edge (at about 7 o’clock on a clock face) of the cornet. Fold the bottom of the cornet up and around the mould and carefully roll upward and toward the left to wrap the cornet tightly around the mould.
10. Leave the cornet wrapped around the mould and continue to roll the cornets around moulds.
11. Bake the cornets for an additional 3-4 mins to set and colour the cornets golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before gently removing them from the moulds.
1. Place the onion, crème fraîche, salt, pepper and chives into your Sunbeam Food Processor, process until smooth.
2. Line each of the inside of the cornets with smoked salmon and fill the cavity with the crème fraîche mix.
3. Garnish with caviar, dill and extra finely chopped chives.