medium lamb shanks
2 onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 bay leaf
2 Tsp tomato paste
400g can chopped tomatoes
3 cups beef stock
1 x packet purchased short crust pastry
1 x packet of puff pastry
2 eggs, lightly whisked
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Heat oil in your Sunbeam Sear and Slow Cooker. Add lamb shanks, cook until golden brown.
2. Add onions, garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Cook for about 3-5 mins or until golden.
3. Reduce heat and add tomato paste. Cook for 1 min.
4. Add in stock and tomatoes. Cover with lid. Cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
5. Remove lamb shanks from slow cooker. Shred the meat and discard the bones.
6. Place the meat back into the sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Grease large muffin tray.
8. Using a 6cm round cutter, cut circles out of the shortcrust pastry. Gently press pastry into the indent.
9. Put enough lamb mixture into each pie to reach the top but don’t overfill.
10. For a lattice topping: cut strips of puff pastry and interweave them. Place them over the pie and trim the pastry to fit.
11. Brush the tops of the pie with egg wash and bake for 15-20 mins or until the tops are golden and the filling is hot.