Cake (makes four layers):
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C, line and grease four 20cm cake pans.
2. Using your Sunbeam Mixmaster, whisk egg yolks, vanilla, oil, 200g sugar and water until light and fluffy.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients on low speed until just combined. Set aside.
4. Whisk egg whites until firm & then add remaining sugar until all combined.
5. Gently fold the meringue mix into the cake batter with large metal spoon.
6. Divide the cake mix evenly into 4 bowls, colour each batch in shades of chosen colour – don’t over mix the batter.
7. Bake for 10-15 mins until cooked in the centre & the centre bounces back to the touch.
8. Turn out and allow to cool whilst making the frosting.
1. In a saucepan heat sugar and water, stir until all sugar granules have dissolved, set aside to cool completely.
2. Using your Sunbeam Mixmaster on high speed, whisk egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on high speed until peaks form.
3. Reduce speed to low, slowly pour cooled sugar syrup into egg whites. Increase speed to high and whisk for 7 mins. Whisk in vanilla.
4. Colour frosting to desired colour
1. Use a 4cm scone cutter to cut discs from all of the cakes.
2. Starting with the darkest colour, sandwich together the discs using the frosting until all four shades are used.
3. Fill a piping bag attached with a large star nozzle with the remaining frosting.
4. Pipe a rosette on top of each of the cakes.